Your body is so amazingly clever.
Its prime mission is to support, care and heal you. Your beautiful body only ever wants what is best for you and this is something that we all can take for granted at times.
Most adults expect their body to work perfectly all the time and then get most upset when it doesn’t. Your body demands your utmost respect but due to our busy, hectic lifestyles we tend to neglect our body and don’t take any notice of it until something breaks or doesn’t function as it should.
I have been teaching bodywork and Pilates for over 20 years and I am always astounded with how little care and attention we actually do lavish on our bodies. My clients tend to spend more money and time on caring for their cars and homes than their bodies!
You only ever get one body and its important that you realize this is your home all the time you are alive on this earth. If you do not take any notice of your body, trust me, your body will, much like a 2 year old, start to act up and demand immediate attention.
Awareness is vital if you are to move into your body completely. To cultivate this awareness you just need space, time and patience. Why not try just 5 minutes listening in time a couple of times throughout your day?
Your body knows best and it never lies. When you take the time and energy to listen in your body will tell you what it needs.
You may be new to listening in so I have complied an essential list of “must haves” that you body craves for on a daily basis.
- Please move me, I don’t care how, but just move me, the aches and pains you are feeling are not aches and pains because of something you are doing, I am actually aching to move. Take me on a walk, do some stretches, dance with me and Ill be happy.
- Feed me great nutritious food at regular intervals throughout the day. This keeps my blood sugar levels up so I have enough energy for you to move throughout your day.
- Please hydrate me with water, I need topping up regularly, so that I can eliminate toxins for you. Staying hydrated gives me more energy too.
- I need fresh air daily, its good to wake me up and get rid of the cobwebs, just 10 mins a day will do.
- I need to rest and recharge daily. Going to bed at a regular time on a great supportive mattress and pillow will help me wake up feeling refreshed for the next day.
- Please remember to hold me tall and with respect. Great posture is essential for me to feel good from the inside out.
As a sparkly bonus here are my favorite Posture Magic Reminders:
Posture Magic Alignment
Feet are hip joint apart; the arches in your feet are awake and lifted, your kneecaps line up over your arches. You want to make sure you pelvis, ribcage and throat are all stacked easily and elegantly on top of each other, finally the roof of your mouth and the crown of your head sit effortlessly over your torso.
Posture Magic Length
You want to feel that you are lengthening from the inside out, I ask my clients to visualize their spine becoming longer and to carry that feeling throughout their day.
Posture Magic Sitting
When sitting put your bottom right up against the back of the chair. Then stack the rest of your spine up so that your shoulders and ribcage are over your hips and your chin in parallel to the floor, remember your length too and resting your feet up on a block or a couple of telephone books will help you to sit taller for longer.
Have fun with listening into your body. It takes some practice but you will be well rewarded for your efforts. Your body will stop acting up, the aches and pains will start to disappear and you will move through the decades of your life with more ease, flow and grace. Start practicing now so that you can become the uber mistress of your own body.